Matters on a. Mandar's Heart

Saturday, November 24, 2007

You may say to yourself, "My power and strength of my hands have produced
this wealth for me." But remember the LORD your God,
for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.
Deut 8:17-18a
God has been good in reminding me that getting into this program was by HIS miraculous works and not due to my 'smarts'.
I had my very first PSE (Practical Skills Exam) yesterday for the cardioresp unit. For those who don't know what it is. It is an exam that tests our practical skills...hah. There were 6 stations in all and we were given 1 minute to read a scenario, which include the condition of the patient and what physio 'techniques' to perform. Then we get 4 minutes to go in and perform it on a 'patient' (the school hires actors). There was also a clinical evaluator in the room to examin your abilities. It reminded me of the mac interview.
So despite alot of practice on some friends (THANK YOU FRIENDS!), I was REALLY REALLY nervous about this. I was scribbling notes as I was reading the questions and my pen broke! I walked into my first station and i forgot the patient's name! I went into another station and I forgot part of the treatment I was suppose to do and at the end I had to verbalize to the clinician what i WOULD have done. And for the chest x-ray station, we were asked to identify the sturctures that were labelled and write down the pathology. But still i was still REALLY REALLY nervous. Jeepers. I seriously have issues. And then there's the whole post-exam reflection that haunts you for at least a few days.
For friends who are considering applying to physio for next year. Make sure that you REALLY want to do this. It's an amazing profession but there's also a high price to pay in between.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:58 a.m., Blogger Melody said…

    YOU PASSED, HUN! :) you were a great PT student!

     
  • At 4:45 p.m., Blogger Hamster said…

    Mandars...reading your post reminded me of the time when I started practice teaching back at the Faculty of Ed. :) It was a nerve-wracking time, but God was so gracious!

    Remember that you are not alone...He is with you! It sounds like He is desiring for you to cast your cares (and every anxiety) upon Him.

    If you want, I could connect you with one of my friend's husbands who graduated from PT last year from UCSF. Let me know if you want his contact info.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home