Matters on a. Mandar's Heart

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

wuheee

Sitting in the 5th floor of the science wing.. in the last hour of my 4hr break. The weight of my ethnic eyelids are rapidly increasing as the effect of my morning stimulus gradually recedes. Once again, my efforts to be productive at an educational institute are in vain- hello blogspot!
My companion comments, "is this how all our tuesdays will be like?"...i manage to create a slight slit in my optical openings..and mutter out, "aiya". Hi-ya, truely an "aiya" day. To think that from now until April, i would spend 8hours of my day in this concrete building, whose only resemblance would be to a nuclear bombshell during the days of the Cold War, "oh mommy". You win som, you lose some, i only had school 3 days a week last semester.

For my two neurocourses, have to read 5 journals/review articles each week. I realized one thing, small print makes me dizzy...and in turn makes me want to vomit. A large part of my weekend was experiencing this sensation..."BAH". However some good did come out of it. At this point of my academic career, i think one of the most interesting careers one can have in the discipline of science is research. So needless to say that these articles really impressed me and further augmented my interest. Now, this is the part where i go on about what it was that was so interesting. For neuroIII..we're learning about the visual system right now. In our eyes, we all have a lens in which focuses images...our lens cells are the only cells in our body that are transparent. How? It's because all of the oranelles-nucleus (DNA), mitochondria, ribosomes etc are gone. How? Because early in developement, lens cells start "apoptosis", which is basically "cell suicide" by releasing enzymes that kill organelles, however before the cell dies, this mechanism is turned off so it doesn't REALLY kill itself...thus making the cell transparent in a sense. However this transparency comes at a cost...since there's no DNA, it can not replicate itself and make more lens cells...or even proteins, which account for why our lens become more rigid with age and bifocals are needed. So we have the same cells from birth to death, crazy! So why is this anything of anything, who cares? There are HUGE implications in this area of research for diseases..for example, if we can figure out how these cells can naturally start mechanisms for apoptosis, we can induce it in cancer cells...thus killing them and they won't spread. Also if we figure out how these cells can STOP apoptosis, it can be usd for neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's or Alzeihmers..which is caused by the death of neurons. Just a little tid bit i thought to share with y'all.. i thought it was so cool.

It's tuesday and as the first section communicated, i'm super tired. The course readings are beginning to pile up..and i'm determined to actually READ my textbooks..while its respective lectures are still going on (i.e. not cramming during reading week).

i went to my first tutoring thing yesterday. Met up with some ppl and went to the school. We had gr 2's...they're cute. I forgot how fun elementary was. Oh the days. There were more tutors than kids so they're going to extend it to gr3's also. Three of us were sharing 2 girls. They were highly distractable...and didn't get much work done. One of them started rapping "drop it like it's hot"..and told us she loves BET...i was shocked. Grade 2!!!..aiya..another little boy was trying to pick up one of the girls...what's wrong with society now?

I decided to bring out my cd's from the boyband days. Those were the days. I was blasting backstreetboy's "Millenium" cd...and as i listened to the lyrics..i was shocked by the content in their music mainly because there wasn't much and if any did exist, it was illogical. In one song they sang, "I need you, it doesn't matter if it's wrong or right..i need you."... UMM....riiiiiiiiight. It's sad that i didn't see this back then. Sometimes i wish i can go back in time and meet myself back then...oh man, i would've set myself straight. Another note: romance is so overrated..romance is not love. Love is when one of my parents wakes up early to open the store even though they're super tired because they want the other one to get bit more sleep. Love is when my dad waits until 9pm to eat instead as the food gets cold so i can take a nap. Love is sacrificial and selfless. Love is not backstreetboys singing about how they don't care about what's wrong/right...because they want you there...bah you nick carter!

Mic commented that i'm pmsing today...can you tell? =)

[Continued]...at home now. Long day, long drive and hungry.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:15 p.m., Blogger sammi said…

    hee hee.. interesting..! your parents are cute =) and thanks for your last comment =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home