Matters on a. Mandar's Heart

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Back

So many things on my mind...all the while i'm too busy sticking my nose in textbooks.

A few months ago i blogged about how i'm "nervous" about taking BGYB51-Evolutionary Biology....so far, i've only been to one class..she introduced what we'll be studying..i got the textbook today and read about 2 chapters..i found myself very cautious..reading every statement...carefully trying to find a "rebutal"...although it's exhausting doing so, i think it's already began to make me more careful about what i take in.. just because it's in a textbook doesn't mean its fact. A hardcover and many old people with many many abbreviations after their names doesn't mean we can let our guard down and just sit passively and let ourselves "be fed". But i've just become more "nervous". I'm honestly scared. In class, the prof said she's not here to challenge our personal beliefs..she just wants to us to be more "open minded". ha...a nice way of saying it. How can it not challenge personal beliefs when all that your present, you do it from a biased point of view? ...and presented as fact, not as a theory. After all, it's the "THEORY of evolution by natural selection". Sigh...i'm gonna be visiting her during her office hrs lots this semester.

...at the same time..i'm "mad" at myself because i can't..and don't know how to counter the points that the text provides...forget micro-, even their explanation for macroevolut'n sounds about right. Arg.

And...can't God USE evolution as part of his creation? ...Lord you're with me..you're with me as i sit in that class..as i read that textbook..Lord give me wisdom as i wrestle with this topic...even if that means to take that humble position and just relying on simple faith.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:16 p.m., Blogger living for an audience of ONE said…

    I will pray for you this term.

    God is in control, I have come to the conclusion that it is less about how He created and more about the fact that He did do it.

    While I can accept some aspects of natural selection within kinds, I find no evidence of evolution between kinds. No reptiles sprouting feathers about ready to fly.

    In grade 11 bio I began the section on evolution "Some believe..." and ended the section with "....but this is wrong, because God is the creator." I gave them back their facts, but held to my beliefs.

    If I can be of assistance or specific prayer, please ask. That is what I love to do.

     
  • At 11:26 p.m., Blogger A Mandar said…

    Thanks Scott

     

Post a Comment

<< Home